Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Should there be a tax on robots?

Started by Anonymous, February 25, 2018, 09:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I ike the idea of taxing robots. A steep tax too. Where are governments going to get revenue for essential services like health care if workers have been replaced with technology.
QuoteManagement consultants at McKinsey & Co. are the latest to, er, drone on about the drones. Their Global Institute has published a report on automation that looks at 46 countries covering around 80% of the worldwide job market. They argue that with a combination of robotics, artificial intelligence and neural networks, almost half the activities that workers are currently paid to do could be automated by 2055. That would have consequences for 1.2 billion workers, who between them earn around $14.5 trillion in wages. These are big and scary numbers, even in global terms.

The report follows in the footsteps of thought-provoking, but under-questioned, work by two Oxford academics, Carl Frey and Michael Osborne. In 2013 they claimed that almost half of all US occupations were at a high risk of automation in the next 20 years. They later extended their analysis to the global economy, and found that an outright majority of jobs in advanced economies, more than two-thirds in India and fully three-quarters in China, were susceptible to replacement.

Anonymous

I'm concerned about technology replacing people.

Bricktop

All robots should pay the same tax as humans!!!

Frood

They'll replace us with robots which won't be properly shielded against EMP, then the sun will bring things to a halt with CME's one day. By then, people won't have the basic skills to look after themselves.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Son, they would only need a pencil sharpener to replace you.

Frood

A circumcision tool designed to be used on cops?
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Not only is technology replacing workers, but we are bringing in more immigrants and refugees to compete for fewer jobs. A strong middle class is overrated anyway.

Bricktop

Although I take the point...won't they need people to build the robots, construct the components, and write the software?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Although I take the point...won't they need people to build the robots, construct the components, and write the software?

">

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Fashionista"I'm concerned about technology replacing people.

Usually when technology changes, people can adapt with it.  Like when the Horse and buggy gave way to the car.  People who made horse and buggies could go make cars.  but when people are replaced by robots, where are they going to go?

I imagine it will sort itself out some way, but I can't picture it.

Anonymous

This will discourage innovation. No more taxes.

Frood

Quote from: "seoulbro"This will discourage innovation. No more taxes.

Taxes discourage innovation. Taxation is theft and wealth redistribution. Just imagine the advances humanity could make without it being stolen from.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "seoulbro"This will discourage innovation. No more taxes.

Taxes discourage innovation. Taxation is theft and wealth redistribution. Just imagine the advances humanity could make without it being stolen from.

A new tax whether it be on carbon, or robots is not for the good of the people.

Zetsu

I might not agree with DD's POV on our police, but he's right that over taxing is no doubt isn't any better than theft, if not worst b/c a thief can be dealt with according to the law, but for taxation, the victim will is punished instead if he tries to evade or refuse paying his/her tax.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"I might not agree with DD's POV on our police, but he's right that over taxing is no doubt any better than theft, if not worst b/c a thief can be dealt with according to the law, but for taxation, the victim will is punished instead if he tries to evade or refuse paying his/her tax.

And besides that, there is no more room for tax increases or new taxes. In Ontario, where you and I live the top  marginal tax rate is 53.5%. That doesn't include payroll taxes, sin taxes, excise taxes, and government fees. That is outright confiscation. Taxation is the problem, never a solution.